A federal jury in Idaho has convicted a man accused of stealing the identity of a California teenager who died in 1977 and using that identity for decades to collect more than $280,000 in government benefits.
What makes the case unusual is that authorities still do not know who the defendant really is.
Federal court records identify the man only as “FNU LNU,” a law enforcement designation meaning “First Name Unknown, Last Name Unknown.” Prosecutors argued during trial that the man falsely lived under the identity of Carlos Ramon Obregon, a 14-year-old boy killed in a Los Angeles drive-by shooting nearly 50 years ago.
The verdict was returned May 21 following a three-day federal trial in Pocatello, Idaho.
Verdict
According to the U.S. Attorney’s Office, the jury convicted the defendant on multiple charges, including:
| Charge | Description |
|---|---|
| Wire fraud | Fraud involving electronic communications |
| Theft of government funds | Illegally receiving public benefits |
| Aggravated identity theft | Using another person’s identity during crimes |
The trial was held before U.S. District Judge David C. Nye at the federal courthouse in Pocatello.
Prosecutors said the defendant spent more than two decades using the identity of Obregon to obtain official documents, public assistance, and federal benefits.
Identity
Authorities say they still cannot confirm the defendant’s true identity.
According to court filings, investigators ran fingerprint checks and reviewed available records but were unable to match him to a verified identity.
During interviews with law enforcement after his arrest, the defendant reportedly continued insisting that he was Carlos Ramon Obregon.
However, prosecutors presented evidence showing that the real Obregon died in Los Angeles in 1977 after being shot in the head during a drive-by shooting at age 14.
Court records state that investigators located Obregon’s gravesite and introduced photographs of the headstone during trial.
The inscription reportedly read:
“Beloved Son & Brother – You’re Forever in Our Hearts.”
Evidence
Federal prosecutors used several forms of evidence to establish that Obregon was deceased and that the defendant had been using his identity fraudulently.
According to the government’s trial brief, investigators obtained certified birth and death records from the California Department of Public Health.
The documents matched the same personal information later used by the defendant to apply for government identification and benefits.
The government also presented testimony from Obregon’s mother, who told jurors that her son died in 1977 and that the defendant was not her child.
Investigators said the defendant repeatedly used Obregon’s Social Security number, date of birth, and family information to apply for official documents over many years.
Benefits
Prosecutors alleged the defendant built an extensive false identity using Obregon’s information and collected benefits through multiple federal and state programs.
According to the indictment, the defendant obtained:
| Benefit Program | Approximate Amount |
|---|---|
| Supplemental Security Income | $177,000 |
| Medicaid benefits | $91,000 |
| SNAP food assistance | $12,000 |
| COVID-19 stimulus payments | $3,200 |
Authorities said the total exceeded $283,000 over approximately 25 years.
The government also alleged that the defendant used Obregon’s identity to obtain Idaho identification cards, an Idaho Star Card, and a U.S. passport.
Court records indicate he traveled to Mexico several times using the passport issued under Obregon’s name.
Arrest
The defendant was arrested in August 2025 in Burley, Idaho.
According to prosecutors, law enforcement officers found multiple identification documents carrying the name Carlos Ramon Obregon in his possession at the time of the arrest.
Officials said a passport renewal application submitted in May 2024 first raised concerns after it was flagged as potentially linked to a deceased individual.
That discovery eventually led investigators to reopen records connected to Obregon’s identity.
Since his arrest, the defendant has remained in custody at the Cassia County Jail.
Investigation
The investigation involved several federal and state agencies, including:
- Social Security Administration Office of Inspector General
- U.S. Department of State Diplomatic Security Service
- Health and Human Services Office of Inspector General
- Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration
- Department of Agriculture Office of Inspector General
- Idaho Transportation Department
Federal prosecutors Sean Mazorol and Brittney Campbell handled the case for the government.
Sentencing
Sentencing is scheduled for Aug. 19 before Judge Nye.
The wire fraud conviction carries a maximum sentence of up to 20 years in prison. Theft of government funds charges each carry possible sentences of up to 10 years.
The aggravated identity theft convictions also include a mandatory minimum two-year prison term that must run consecutively to other sentences.
The case has drawn attention because despite years of investigation and a successful prosecution, authorities still have not publicly identified who the defendant actually is.
FAQs
Who was Carlos Ramon Obregon?
He was a California teen killed in 1977.
How much money was fraudulently collected?
Prosecutors said the total exceeded $280,000.
Do authorities know the defendant’s identity?
No, officials still cannot confirm who he is.
What benefits did the defendant receive?
He collected SSI, Medicaid, SNAP, and stimulus funds.
When is sentencing scheduled?
Sentencing is set for Aug. 19 in federal court.


















