Two law enforcement officers who defended the U.S. Capitol during the Jan. 6, 2021 attack have filed a federal lawsuit seeking to block a newly created $1.7 billion “anti-weaponization fund” announced by the Trump administration.
The lawsuit was filed Wednesday in federal court in Washington, D.C., by retired U.S. Capitol Police officer Harry Dunn and Metropolitan Police Department officer Daniel Hodges. Both officers became nationally recognized for their actions during the Capitol riot, where they confronted rioters attempting to stop Congress from certifying the 2020 presidential election results.
The officers argue the newly announced fund could financially benefit individuals involved in the Jan. 6 attack, including rioters who were later pardoned by President Donald Trump.
Fund
The “anti-weaponization fund” was introduced this week by the Justice Department as part of a settlement agreement involving President Trump and the federal government.
According to Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche, the fund is intended to provide a formal process for individuals who believe they were unfairly targeted by government agencies.
Blanche said the program would:
| Purpose | Description |
|---|---|
| Review claims | Examine allegations of government “weaponization” |
| Provide compensation | Allow approved claimants to receive payments |
| Create oversight | Use a five-member commission to manage claims |
The Justice Department has not yet released full eligibility requirements or payout limits for the program.
Lawsuit
Dunn and Hodges are asking the court to declare the fund unlawful and stop the Treasury Department from transferring money to the Justice Department for its operation.
Their lawsuit argues the existence of the fund could reward individuals who participated in violence during the Jan. 6 attack.
According to the complaint:
“Those who enact violence in President Trump’s name will not just avoid punishment, they will be rewarded with riches.”
The officers also claim the program creates personal safety concerns for law enforcement officials who continue speaking publicly about Jan. 6.
Their attorney, Brendan Ballou of the Public Integrity Project, described the program as unlawful and dangerous in a public statement accompanying the filing.
Jan. 6 Context
The Capitol attack on Jan. 6, 2021 occurred after a large group of Trump supporters breached security barriers and entered the Capitol building while Congress met to certify Electoral College results.
More than 100 law enforcement officers were injured during the attack. Dunn and Hodges were among officers who physically confronted rioters inside and outside the Capitol complex.
Since then, hundreds of participants have faced federal charges ranging from unlawful entry to assaulting officers and seditious conspiracy.
President Trump later issued pardons to many individuals convicted in connection with the riot, including some convicted of violent offenses.
Eligibility Questions
One of the central issues raised in the lawsuit is uncertainty surrounding who may qualify for compensation from the new fund.
The Justice Department has not publicly stated whether Jan. 6 defendants, pardoned rioters, or former Trump associates would be eligible.
However, attorneys representing individuals who claim they were unfairly investigated by the government have already begun exploring possible applications for payouts.
Potential groups that could seek compensation may include:
| Possible Applicants | Reason |
|---|---|
| Pardoned Jan. 6 defendants | Claims of unfair prosecution |
| Former Trump aides | Alleged political targeting |
| Trump campaign associates | Prior DOJ investigations |
| Other federal defendants | Claims of government misconduct |
Blanche told lawmakers during a Senate hearing that additional details would come from a five-member board overseeing the program.
Settlement Origins
The fund was created as part of a broader legal settlement involving Trump and the federal government.
Earlier this year, Trump filed a $10 billion lawsuit alleging federal agencies improperly allowed a contractor to leak confidential tax return information connected to him, his sons, and the Trump Organization.
The leaked records were reportedly shared with media organizations in 2020.
As part of the settlement agreement:
| Settlement Element | Outcome |
|---|---|
| Tax records dispute | Case resolved |
| Administrative claims | Trump dropped separate DOJ claims |
| IRS protections | IRS barred from pursuing prior tax claims |
| Anti-weaponization fund | $1.7 billion established |
The Justice Department also said Trump had sought approximately $230 million in damages related to investigations conducted during his presidency and the Biden administration.
Legal Debate
The lawsuit raises broader constitutional and legal questions about executive authority, federal spending, and compensation programs linked to political investigations.
Critics of the fund argue it may blur the line between legal settlements and politically motivated compensation programs.
Supporters of the initiative contend that individuals harmed by improper government investigations should have access to remedies and review mechanisms.
Legal experts note that courts will likely examine several issues, including:
- Whether the executive branch had authority to establish the fund
- How federal money is being allocated
- Whether plaintiffs have legal standing to challenge the program
- Potential constitutional implications involving equal protection and due process
Broader Implications
The case reflects continuing political and legal divisions surrounding Jan. 6 and the federal investigations that followed.
For officers like Dunn and Hodges, the lawsuit represents an effort to challenge what they see as a policy that could indirectly reward individuals involved in violence against law enforcement.
For the administration, the fund appears connected to broader efforts to address claims that federal agencies were used unfairly against political opponents.
The federal court in Washington will now decide whether the program can proceed while legal challenges continue.
FAQs
Who filed the lawsuit?
Harry Dunn and Daniel Hodges filed the case.
What is the anti-weaponization fund?
A DOJ compensation fund worth $1.7 billion.
Why are officers opposing the fund?
They fear Jan. 6 rioters could receive payouts.
Who announced the program?
Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche.
What does the lawsuit seek?
To block and reverse the fund’s creation.


















