6-Year-Old Boy Dies After Table Incident at Bay Area Elementary School

Published On:
Bay Area

A 6-year-old boy died last week after a table reportedly fell on him during an after-school program at McKinley Elementary School in Burlingame, according to school officials and the child’s family.

The incident happened on May 15 at the school campus located on Paloma Avenue. The San Mateo County Coroner’s Office later identified the child as Gavin Tsui.

School district officials said the boy was not a student enrolled in the Burlingame School District.

Incident

According to a message sent to families by Burlingame School District Superintendent Marla Silversmith, the child died on campus during an after-school activity operated by a private organization using school facilities.

Officials have not publicly identified the organization involved or released detailed information about how the accident occurred.

The district stated that the matter remains under review.

Incident DetailInformation
VictimGavin Tsui
Age6 years old
LocationMcKinley Elementary School
CityBurlingame, California
DateMay 15
Program TypePrivate after-school activity

Review

In a statement shared with families, Superintendent Silversmith said the district believes the event was isolated but emphasized that officials are conducting a full review to determine exactly what happened.

“While we believe this was an isolated incident, it is being thoroughly reviewed through the proper channels to determine the cause,” Silversmith stated in a letter obtained by local media outlets.

The district has not indicated whether any safety violations or equipment failures contributed to the incident.

Officials also cited privacy concerns and the ongoing review as reasons for limiting public details at this stage.

Response

Following the incident, the district said it immediately implemented several precautionary measures across school campuses.

According to the superintendent, all district multipurpose rooms were temporarily secured and closed while officials review procedures related to outside organizations using school facilities.

The district is also reassessing policies involving third-party programs operating on school grounds.

Emergency crews, including a fire truck and ambulance, responded to the school after the incident was reported.

McKinley Elementary Principal Susana Fernandez described the event to families as “an isolated medical incident” in an earlier communication cited by local reports.

Programs

McKinley Elementary hosts several outside enrichment and after-school activities throughout the year.

According to the school’s website, campus programs include sports, dance, art, language instruction, and other student activities operated by external organizations.

Champions, one of the private before- and after-school providers operating at the school, released a statement clarifying that the child was not enrolled in its program.

As of Monday, school officials had not publicly identified which specific organization was overseeing the activity attended by the boy.

Community

The incident has deeply affected families and staff within the Burlingame school community.

District leaders expressed condolences to the child’s family and acknowledged the emotional impact on students, parents, and employees.

“Our hearts are with the family, loved ones, and all those impacted by this heartbreaking loss,” Silversmith said in a message to district families.

The district also announced that counseling and emotional support resources would be made available for students and families coping with the tragedy.

Safety

The case has raised broader questions about safety procedures involving outside programs operating on school campuses.

Schools across California frequently partner with private organizations to provide after-school care and enrichment activities. These arrangements often involve shared use of multipurpose rooms, playgrounds, cafeterias, and recreational equipment.

Education and child safety experts generally recommend regular inspections of heavy furniture, folding equipment, and storage systems used in school facilities, particularly in spaces accessed by children during extracurricular activities.

At this stage, officials have not publicly confirmed exactly how the table fell or whether additional safety recommendations may follow the district’s review.

Investigation

The Burlingame School District has not announced a timeline for completing its investigation into the incident.

Local authorities and district officials continue reviewing the circumstances surrounding the child’s death.

No additional public information had been released as of Monday regarding potential findings or whether any policy changes may result from the review process.

For many families in the community, attention remains focused on supporting Gavin Tsui’s family as they cope with the loss of their child.

FAQs

Who was the child involved?

The boy was identified as Gavin Tsui.

Where did the incident happen?

At McKinley Elementary School in Burlingame.

Was the child a district student?

No, officials said he was not enrolled.

Did the district identify the program?

No, the organization was not named publicly.

What actions did the district take?

It temporarily closed multipurpose rooms.

Leave a Comment